Friday, February 26, 2010

Diet, Play, and Diapers!

You like the title of this post? Well we have had so much going on this past week in the McKinney house that I had to share.
First off, this wonderful diet (sense the sarcasm?). Since starting the SCD Haiden has regressed at school. He has been very, very sensitive and crying over just about everything that doesn't go his way. Now there are several factors that could play into this so I'm not for sure if it is just the diet, a combination of things, or Haiden figuring out how to get his way:). We started the diet, then Haiden got the flu, then he had several snow days. So I called our DAN doctor and she recommended stopping all nuts, adding rice back in, and focus on being GFCF/soy free/egg free. Seriously? Ahh, this is all getting pretty exhausting. Though being told that we could eat rice made me want to jump up and down! So I really had my hopes up that we would be able to fully heal Haiden's belly and eventually eat anything we wanted. Now, I think maybe this is just how we are suppose to eat. Honestly, the thought of eating something that comes out of a cow's boob really freaks me out. When I think about it Haiden has made tremendous gains in the past three years! Maybe this is his full recovery? He is healthy, he doesn't have bowel issues anymore, he leads a pretty "normal" life, he sleeps good, he eats good, he is so happy, and he enjoys life. Maybe he will always be a quirky little guy. If so, I can fully accept that. He is an amazing kid! I just can't live with myself unless I know that I did everything possible (safe of course) for him.

Here are some pics of a few things we have been eating this week.

Fish Tacos! Rice tortilla, grilled tilapia, brown rice, black beans, avocado and cumin dressing http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-foods-tutorial-the-raw-cocktail-party/Homemade Hummus! Just put dried chick peas (soak overnight then cook in filtered water for 3 hours), roasted red pepper, garlic cloves, basil, salt and pepper into the food processor.Then you will have a delicious hummus without any preservatives. You can do so much with hummus. I like to put them on rice wraps, dip with veggies, dip with butternut chips, and dip with rice chips.
We went to Haiden's school play performance this week! It was so adorable! The play was called Humpty Dumpty and Haiden was the King's Messenger!

I have always wanted to use cloth diapers but just didn't have the guts to do it...until now! I received my order from Toasty Baby (http://www.toastybaby.com/) today and couldn't wait to put my babies in their new diapers.


Ella is potty trained but she still wears a diaper during nap time and through the night. She loves her new cloth diapers and didn't want to take it off after her nap. Can you tell she just woke up?

Mason was army crawling towards the pile of new diapers.

He is such a handsome little guy!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Haiden playing his role..he looks so official and serious! I also love the one where he is raising his arm...VICTORIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cloth diapers. I wish I would have used them more when my guys were little. It wasn't until years later that I learned what goes into some disposable diapers. Ugh.

    My children can't wait to make your hummus recipe. They both thought it looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete