Monday, November 1, 2010

My Grandpa

My Grandpa went to a better place last week. Although our hearts are broken and we miss him dearly, we have so many wonderful memories. It has been difficult explaining everything to the kids. Ella and Mason are too young to understand but Haiden is just at that age where he understands but is really confused. With Haiden being so literal and seeing me a wreck, he has had a hard time. I told him that Gramps is with God but when he saw Gramps at the visitation he said, "You told me Gramps was with God so why is he sleeping in that bed?" Before I could think of an answer Haiden said, "Oh, is he dreaming that he is with God?" I said, "Yes."
I was able to speak at Grandpa's service and I am so happy that I did. Below is what I said:
There are not enough words to describe one of the greatest men I have ever known. My grandpa had so many admirable qualities. He was a strong man, very giving, caring, helpful, gentle, hard working, loving, courageous, full of wisdom, and a man of God. He always made us want to be better without even saying a word. Though I think he was most proud of being called a devoted husband, a father, a grandpa, and Gramps. He loved his family unconditionally and always put his family first. We were his world and he always let us know that. I am so grateful for the wonderful memories he made. From our trips to Florida, sporting events, plays, holidays, birthday parties, or just hanging out, he was always there. We will always hold these memories in our hearts. While trying to find comfort in Grandpa's passing I found this poem. As I was reading it I knew it was what Grandpa would say now that he is with the Lord.
You can shed tears that I am gone but please smile because I have lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that I'll come back but please open your eyes and see all that I left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see me but please be full of the love we shared. You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday but please be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember me and only that I'm gone but please cherish my memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back but please do what I'd want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.
Grandpa we will miss you so much. Thank you for always being there, thank you for the cherished memories, thank you for being the best Grandpa in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment