Thursday, November 12, 2009

Our DAN Doctor Visit

Last Spring I asked our DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctor, Dr. Mary Lou Hulseman, if she would be willing to see Ella. Even though Ella isn't autistic, she has had many delays and throws insane tantrums and well on her way to an ADHD diagnoses. Dr. Hulseman agreed and we were able to sit down with her and start a plan of action for our little princess last week. Dr. Hulseman cringed when she reviewed Ella's first year of life and all of her illnesses. She thought it was interesting that Ella's most serious illnesses occurred a few days after a vaccination. I think all of our family remember the Christmas Eve in the ER, that was 4 days after receiving a vaccination. If we would of continued the recommended vaccination schedule, Ella would be long gone. Dr. Hulseman is the only doctor in this entire world that I currently trust so her opinion and plan of action is very important to me.
Now some people may think that I need to stop blaming the vaccines and realize it could be a genetic issue. Well to those people you are right and wrong. After a ton of research and conformation from Dr. Hulseman, here is what has happened to Haiden and Ella. I do not have a strong immune system, poor gut flora, and yeast overgrowth therefore I didn't pass on good gut flora and too much yeast to my children which then results in a weakened immune system. (About 85% of our immune system is in our gut.) So then Haiden and Ella received the Hep B vaccine when they were less than 24 hours old. Their little bodies were unable to get rid of the toxins from the vaccine due to a weak immune system so they started getting very sick. They continued to get sick, vaccinated, and put on antibiotics. The antibiotics ripped any good gut flora out and their bodies couldn't fight off the yeast overgrowth. The yeast overgrowth results in a leaky gut. Once you have a leaky gut all kinds of scary things can happen with attention, mood, and the ability to communicate. This is the vicious cycle that is happening to our babies and we are losing them to autism, ADHD, OCD, and ODD.
So with Mason, we aren't vaccinating him (until he is 14 when the immune system is fully developed) and we are starting him on a probiotic. He is our only healthy baby and our only baby to meet milestones on time!
Now back to our plan of action with Ella. Dr. Hulseman wants blood, stool, and urine test to confirm some things but she believes Ella definitely has an overgrowth of yeast. Like I said before this results in a leaky gut which wrecks havoc on the body. The good new is that this is fixable but the bad news is it isn't easy. We have to put Ella on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. We are all going to go on the diet because it will benefit Haiden as well. Basically we have to starve all of the bad bacteria and yeast in the gut so it dies off and their bellies can heal. No more carbs, sugar, or starches. (All of Ella's favorite foods).
Dr. Hulseman has wanted me to put Haiden on this diet for about six months but I have put it off. She believes if we do the diet for one year then Haiden and Ella's guts will heal to where they can eat gluten, casein, soy, and egg again. I put this diet off partially due to the fact that we had Mason and it has been pretty crazy around here. Also, I didn't feel educated enough so I was very uncomfortable. So my new goal is to become an SCD expert and we are all starting this diet after the holidays. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the diet! I hope you're able to see/get the results you hope for! I'm glad the Dr. is willing to see Ella and start a plan for her. Sounds like you've definitely found the right Dr. for your needs! Take care and tell Brian I said hello! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are starting SCD soon as well. I've been putting it off for way too long. It's so hard to imagine not eating any carbs and I'm still not sure what we will send Gabe for snacks at school. lol I guess he will have to learn to like veggies and boiled fruits! Good luck with the diet. I still really want to have you all over for lunch/dinner maybe after the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete