Friday, January 15, 2010

What's in your fridge?

I follow a vegan mom's blog not because I'm vegan but because she is so organized and offers awesome ideas. Recently she had a post about what is in her refrigerator, http://www.greenandcrunchy.org/2009/11/whats-in-your-fridge/. I was so jealous when I saw all the organic and fresh food in her fridge. Well since we have started the SCD, my fridge has never looked more...healthy. So what's in your fridge?
On the top left, pears and green beans. On the top right, pineapple and spinach. In the middle are oranges and zucchini. On the bottom are asparagus and peppers.
On the top are my homemade nut flours and nut butters. Below that are organic eggs, blueberries, and strawberries. In our deli compartment are SCD legal cheeses. On the bottom are grapes and broccoli.
I loved how colorful are counter was looking so I had to take a pic. From left to right is a butternut squash, pineapple, tomatoes, garlic, pears, apples, and bananas.

So I've been kind of obsessed with dehydrating fruits and veggies lately. Here are some dried zucchini chips. This is about 1/4 of the batch because it didn't turn out too well. Next time I'm going to do things a little different.
Here are some nut flour cookies. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Dried strawberries and pears.

More dried strawberries.

Dried apples with cinnamon.


I am slowly getting better with the SCD. I'm learning how to manage my time more wisely in the kitchen and I don't feel like I'm constantly cooking everyday...only a little bit. Haiden continues to do great! Ella continues to boggle our brains everyday. Her little belly isn't so little anymore and has bloated back up to where it was before the diet. She is still very emotional and unpredictable. I took her this week to have blood work done that was ordered back in November. It is to check her vitamin and mineral levels and food sensitivities. I've been putting it off for two reasons, 1) They tried to do the blood work in the doctor's office and couldn't find a vein. It was a traumatic experience for me so I can only imagine what it was like for her and 2) I was hoping the SCD would fix everything and we would know what foods she is sensitive to. So we went to the hospital to have it done and they were able to find a vein and get what they needed. We should find out the results in a few weeks.

On another note, Mason continues to be a healthy, thriving baby. My children definitely have a genetic predisposition to ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders) and I believe that environmental toxins (vaccines being one of them) trigger the ASD. My kidos are proof of this. Haiden had 21 vaccines in 15 months, was sick all the time, didn't hit milestones, allergies, severe bowel problems, PDD-NOS diagnoses at the age of 2. Ella had 4 vaccines in 9 months, was sick all the time, stopped breathing on two occasions, wasn't meeting milestones, difficulty eating, now has dark circles under her eyes, bloated belly, very emotional. Mason, no vaccines, no illnesses, hitting every milestone...oh and gives us high 5's! I just encourage everyone to investigate before they vaccinate!
Here are some pics of our healthy little boy

6 comments:

  1. He looks so happy! I took pics of my fridge last week...lol. And you know I want that cookie recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin I can't wait to see your pics! Here is the cookie recipe:
    3 c. nut flour
    1/4 c. nut butter
    1/4 coconut oil
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    6 TBSP pureed pearsauce (or you could use 2 eggs)
    Preheat oven 350
    Combine all ingredients except flour in blender or food processor. Add flour and blend.
    Grease a cookie sheet
    Form balls and flatten into the size of cookie you prefer
    Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! How did you do the apples again? 8 hrs at 170?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby...you are so amazing!! Our fridge is sooooo unorganized and cluttered I would be ashamed to put pics up of it. lol Go girl!! I will have to clean and organize before you guys come for lunch. hehe

    Oh my gosh, Mason is BEAUTIFULLY handsome! What a happy little boy. I am SO glad he is doing so well!!! Gives me hope that I could prevent this from my (possible) future children too! :) Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin, yes I do the apples at 170 for 8 hours.
    Thanks Jade! It took a lot of work to get all the junk out of our fridge and make it an SCD legal fridge, lol. Don't worry, I won't judge your fridge when we come over :). And yes Jade you can prevent this in future children. Mason is living proof.

    ReplyDelete